I ran into some severe problems just before release day, and it caused a lot of complete stops in progress. The initial problem was related to my health, but 99% of the halt in development has been due to unforeseen and sudden fatal errors that mysteriously appeared with the older GM:Studio I’ve always used. I tried updating to the newest GM:Studio, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and nothing seemed to work. Finally, earlier tonight, I uninstalled and then re-installed a much earlier copy of GM:Studio, one that I knew for sure worked and had been using the entire time, and now I’m finally starting to make progress again.
To go into a bit more detail concerning the fatal error I initially experienced the first couple of days and what exactly was the hold up and story behind the release day’s delay:
I already anticipated running into a huge list of errors beforehand, so what I did was find and fix all of them before I ever had to import the older GM 8.0 version of the game into the older GM:Studio. However, an “Out of Memory” bug kept popping up no matter what I did, preventing the Studio version of the game from even starting. (Keep in mind that each time I find, fix, and then compile the code, the whole process can be really time consuming, taking anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes each and every time.) The “Out of Memory” fatal error was very odd because there is no reason that with over 12 gigs of ram that I should be experiencing this problem. Come to find out later on through research online that the particular error I was experiencing was actually a bug, a problem with the program and not a problem with my coding or anything related to my game at all.
So then I upgraded the older GM:Studio to the newest GM:Studio, which solved the “Out of Memory” error but then gave me hundreds of other newly formed bugs that were never there to begin with. So, once again, I was faced with another brick wall that completely halted progress to a stand still. I tried everything I could think of, everything recommended online to people with similar problems, and NOTHING worked… It then hit me that perhaps I should uninstall the newest GM:Studio and reinstall the very same version that I had previously been using the entire time, the older GM:Studio, the one that I used to find and fix the long list of bugs beforehand to avoid all of this nonsense in the first place.
Well, wouldn’t you know it, I downgraded to the very same 2013 version of older GM:Studio (which I had installed the entire time for years beforehand) and now I can compile much faster and without any fatal errors whatsoever. … ._.
To summarize: I already had GM:S installed, it suddenly goofed up for no reason, I upgraded to newer versions that only made things worse, until I finally went back to the version I had originally and it suddenly started working again…
So now I am going through with the old version and finding and fixing whatever small errors have popped up, and I’m also ironing things out one last time and fixing anything else that is wonky now in the new Studio compiled version of the game. I’m also going to be adding in the support for all 4 gamepads, all of the hard work is already done so it shouldn’t take me very long to set that up.
So that’s where I’m at right now! I will keep everyone updated with more information, or you can follow me on twitter for more up to date info:
I finally have everything going and now we are moving again full speed! I’ll let everyone know when the game will actually be released, and once again I’m really sorry about all of this, I feel awful about it. Most of it was totally out of my hands, though. Thanks again for all of your patience and support!